Ingredients can easily be doubled/tripled (depending on the size of your popping container) for more servings, which can easily be saved for eating later.
- 2 Tbsp Popcorn Kernels
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1-2 Pinches Garlic Powder
- 1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Retrieve a 1-quart cooking pot and matching lid.
- Set burner to medium heat (any hotter will burn the popcorn and spices).
- Add 1 Tbsp of Canola Oil and 3 popcorn kernels to the cooking pot. These kernels are test kernels that will let you know when the pot is hot enough to add the rest of the kernels. (Don’t forget to put the lid back on the pot while you wait for the test kernels to pop.)
CAUTION: It is very important to keep lid on cooking pot while kernels and oil are heating and popping. Popping kernels will spray hot oil.
- Collect your spices, and be ready– once the test kernels pop, you want to add your remaining kernels and spices quickly!
- Once kernels and spices are added to pot, put the lid back on and stir/shake vigorously to evenly spread spices and oil across all kernels.
- Continue agitating the pot, shaking back and forth atop the stove, to keep the popcorn from burning. Wait until you hear little to no popping, then remove from heat.
- Add additional salt to taste, if needed.